Mar 3, 2008

Vert Fest, Crystal Mountain






Let me start by letting you know that this weekend inspired me to climb Mt Rainier this Spring/Summer. I was ski touring on Sunday and it was there, so beautiful, so monstrous, so peaceful looking and all I could think about was how much I wanted to climb that mountain......


Another random fabulous weekend. I'm getting pretty good at going with the swing of things and having the time of my life....truly "livin the dream". This weekend I had the opportunity to catch up with a friend I hadn't seen for awhile...It was nice but unfortunately, our weekend together did not last too long...



After many hours of travel Chris and I finally arrived at the base of Crystal Mountain. We decided to see if the only bar (The Snorting Elk) on the mountain was hoppin'....a live band was playing and there were people of all types hanging out having a good time..

we had a couple of drinks and mingled until I got pretty tired and our home for the night was not set up yet....We decided to camp out on Lot B...Chris rolled the car into the parking lot and set up the tent behind his car...it was snowing and wet...he was kind enough to lend me his warm sleeping bag and awesome thermarest....Other than the snowblowers running at 2am onwards I slept great...


Saturday morning I found myself at the start line of a ski mountaineer race. It was a good race, a decent course but I would have enjoyed some more transitions. I find when a course doesn't change a lot my mind starts to drift and my speed digresses. I messed up a little on the first round of ups....I tried to be a superstar and not book pack when everyone else did..eventually i had to succumb to the boot pack and I fared much better as the trail was well broken in but I did loose lots of places from my scatterness....The first down was great, we scored some great powder and then ripped down the groomers back to the beginning to start it all over again...The second uphill felt a lot easier but the beginning of the down was icy and steep and I really had to concentrate hard to get down...all in all good fun...I got to try out some dynafits for the rest of the afternoon.....I managed to score a 3rd place finish again and won some shwag and $$...awesome..following the awards Chris wasn't feeling too hot and wanted to head down but I wasn't ready...I really wanted to tour on Sunday....after talking to my new Dynafit friends (Time,Benedict and Jaime) they offered me their spare bed, to join them on their tour on Sunday and a ride back to Bellingham....PERFECT. Chris went on his way and I stayed behind and socialized at the Snorting Elk....


Sunday



What a perfect day....the sun was shining, we were exploring new terrain, the group was fantastic and Mt Rainier was glowing in the background.....I don't have much to say other than I love the mountains......we shredded some pow, skinned up some peaks and had lunch outside on the patio in the sun....


I made it home by 1130pm with zero regrets and only beautiful memories and new friendships....


I just want to emphasize that anything is impossible if you want it bad enough....follow your passions and dreams and happiness will follow..it may be scary, lonely, and hard at times but if you take that risk and go for it.....you can not loose....


live, love, laugh,...DREAM!

No comments: