Mar 21, 2013

The Journey to MOLOKAI 2 OAHU....


My Journey towards the Molokai to Oahu crossing.....

getting inspired through the beauty and magic of the island...


It starts here and NOW....
it all starts with learning the basics... catching the little ones...


It has begun... I suppose it slowly began when I announced my interest to do it to others, it more officially began when I signed up, and now I am in Maui, found an awesome coach and am learning the skills to help me cross the channel with success and more importantly with a smile:) I already have some pretty fantastic people to thank which is soooo amazing  as I am just beginning this quest.. There are so many wonderful people in this community I don’t even know where to start… all I know is I hope I can continue to share this dream, inspire, motivate, and teach others how to follow theirs…

The next 4 months I am going to focus on this journey I have chosen. I am sure there will be ups and downs, there will be  easier and tougher obstacles, there will be successes and failures… I look forward to the bumpy road though… if it were easy then everybody would be doing itJ

So, as I sit on Randy’s back porch (thanks for the loan Randy:)) enjoying the sunset over the Iao Valley here in Maui I know I am ready for this.

I have had some sessions with Jeremy Riggs, a downwind master and fabulous coach, father, athlete, human being,… we have shared stories and he has shared his knowledge… The wind has not yet blown to satisfactory big downwind runs but maybe it’s a blessing in disguise as I have been able to practice catching surf after surf after surf…. Getting the feel of a downwind board… It has been 3 days of lots of paddling which is wonderful… I am trying hard not to get all excited about everything and although I brought my running shoes I happily have not put them on yet (I did manage to however go for a barefoot beach run,  ran into a Lululemon morning beach workout group that cheerfully let me join in on their fun for a bit before I had to head back to find the outdoor pull up bar at the top of steep sand slope)

Working with JR... he makes it look easy...



I was pretty nervous coming to Maui on my own, but Randy, Jeremy, and the local community have been so welcoming and friendly, now its going to be difficult to leaveJ

I have 4 more days on this magical island called Maui and I will pray for some wind so I can get some downwind runs but am looking forward to enjoying my progress of riding the wave(s) towards the Channel Of Bones… M2O…. 

It starts with baby steps... Its hard sometimes to feel like you really suck at something... I watch others catch these baby bumps with ease and grace and here I am shaking, falling, getting frustrated at missing the waves, etc etc the list goes on... I am starting to see that this journey is just that... If I was a super star surfer and downwinder this thing would be less of a big deal for me... hehe... one small part of the many reasons I want to make it through this crossing is to force myself to learn these skills. 
learning to turn on the wave...


I want to add downwinding and surfing to my SUP skill set... 


for the love of downwinds..... 

live, love, laugh,...DREAM!
lina

No comments: