Feb 11, 2008

Something Different...

Poor weather and Sickness: I still managed to go play outside…

I am getting excited about rock climbing again. It’s nice to be back in the rock gym figuring out problems and pumping the ‘ol forearms…It’s also nice to see familiar faces in a new gym.

We had plans for the weekend, they were good but the weather decided to be difficult and so our plans got scratched…



Saturday I was fighting a cold so decided it was best not to turn my alarm on and sleep in until my body wanted to get up… and that happened to be 10:30am. I won’t lie, it felt good. I headed out for a trail run with my handy yak traks.


They came in good use for about half the run; with the rain and the hard pack snow, the surface was fairly icy at times (especially heading downhill!!). It felt good to be running in the trails again (its been awhile since I had been out skiing all weekend most weekends). I managed to run for 1.5 hrs which was good since I was still trying to fight off my cold. After a break doing some arts and crafts I decided to head out to Mt Seymour and do a couple laps of skinning up on the local trails beside the hill.



I managed to squeeze one in but decided that skinning up in the dark, dense fog and by myself wasn’t the brightest of ideas… so I stuck to the hill for the rest of the evening. It was sort of eerie all night, the mountain seemed deserted and the fog was so heavy….kind of fun too…



Mark and I headed up to the Callaghan on Sunday to check out the x country ski trails. It was my first visit on skis so I was pretty excited. The weather wasn’t the greatest but they do a wonderful job at grooming the trails. We had a blast. Its amazing how much better I feel skiing with fresh legs compared to my Tuesday evening skies after a day of work and a bunch of training.


We arrived back in the city to some sunshine and I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to run outside in the sun… so although tired, I strapped on my runners and headed for the trails again. I found some trails without snow (but lots and lots of mud….) and went for a good run until the sun went down. Running on the mountains in the trails seems to be the place where I feel most at home, at peace and content. I love it.



All in all, a good weekend, for not being in the backcountry and feeling sick. I think the fresh air saved me ...go play outside!!!



Live, Love, Laugh,….DREAM!

No comments: