Feb 16, 2008

the mind is a powerful machine...



So I've been feeling a little uninspired and unmotivated lately so minimal pics for this post....mostly some words and thoughts.
Something I learnt today.



Today I participated at the Yeti Snowshoe race on Grouse...it was a tough course with a large, very large, never ending (so it felt) uphill....needless to say it wasn't one of my best performances. There are a couple of things I can think of that played a part in my poor performance...I would like to expand on one of them right now....So for the last couple of days events in my daily life have caused me to be emotionally down, stressed and in full, not motivated about anything. I felt that I took these emotions and stresses with me to the race this morning...It's an interesting correlation between how my daily life is going and my race results...at least for me it is. Its funny, having a masters degree in sport psychology one would assume that I should be able to separate the two... I was in part curious if today I would have a good performance or not..., I would either have energy to burn off and push hard .. or the stresses of the week would weigh me down and essentially slow me down....the second is what occurred....

I find myself in an interesting situation...I am usually an extremely motivated, happy, energetic, excited individual and in the past going for runs, bike runs, essentially hard long work outs would help ease my worries and stresses but it seems that this time the opposite effect is occurring...I'm going to experiment and see what different strategies might work to help me get through my down time...

despite my current situation I am still enjoying my life on the west coast and trying to take in every opportunity that comes my way.

You might be wondering what I do with my time during the week...I play outdoors.....

Monday nights I teach downhill skiing on Mt Seymour. It is a great program they have created called Ladies Night...Ladies get to ski on the hill for free and may also take lessons in an all female group. The dynamics are great and the ladies are lovely. I really enjoy teaching so it feels great to help others learn a new exciting sport and help them play outside!

Tuesday nights I've been trying to head up to Cypress Nordic for some skate skiing. Thanks to Johnny and Mark (my rides) I am able to enjoy a damn tough work out on the skis...Its a great little area with tons of hills...

Wednesday nights I get to be an adventure guide on Grouse Mountain. I get the opportunity to take people (lots of people) night snowshoeing...there are different levels from beginners to walkers, walk-runners and your hard core runners. Its a great way to meet new people and enjoy what one of the local mountains have to offer. On a clear night it feels magical...

Thursday nights I am lucky enough to go night kayaking...I've been heading out with a good group of solid kayakers all winter long and its been incredible. We've had some cold and wet nights but we've also had some pretty spectacular evenings as well...

So as you can see there is lots to do right here in my backyard in north vancouver....

looking forward to enjoying some more local fun....

live, love, laugh,...DREAM!

No comments: