Mar 9, 2010

Kootenay Coldsmoke Festival, Nelson, BC




Having a couple of free days and some cause for a little celebration Andrew and I headed off to Nelson to enjoy the Coldsmoke Powder fest. I had been two years ago on the fly on my own and had a blast. Although it is called the powder fest both times the pow was a little hard to find but enough determination and fitness it was there, waiting....but nonethless there were good times to be had.

As per usual Andrew and Lina standards we had few things planned and we were not sure what to expect. Before heading out we were Praying for our lax schedule to work out....it did!

After we decided after much deliberation not to head to the festival earlier in February, we found out Andrew had won a G3 ski graphic competition. His mad skills had won us/him some accomodation and tix to the event.... We were off.



We arrived late friday night after work/school and had an easy long drive to Nelson. We got ourselves comfy in the Dancing Bear Inn, a cute hostel in the heart of downtown Nelson.

Saturday I had signed up for the rando race.... a grueling but beautiful 7km course in and around Whitewater ski resort side country.... The hill is awesome for easy access backcountry.... One day I hope to do the race in powder (both years the fest landed on a dry spell for the mountain)..... At some points on the downhill I was feeling the vibrations of my skis throughout my entire body on the frozen, crusted aspect of the run..... I was a little weary to go on but to my surprise some pow pow was to be found higher up off Ymir bowl.... to bad my legs were finished by this point and I couldnt really it to its fullest. Andrew ran around and met me in spots and kindly skied the last quarter of the route home with me..... not my best performance but a wonderful way to spend the day out in the sunshine. Andrew later went and demoed some skis and I managed to score a probe in the beacon olympics.... its always good to find times to practice beacon searches... It is one of those things similar to lifeguarding... you practice scenario after scenario with possibly never having to use your knowledge (hopefully) and skills (saving a life....) but if you ever have to it is literally life or death and by gosh you will be happy you practiced your lifesaving skills...



we finished off the glorious day with the western style buff-eh and foto face off contest and party....

Sunday, proved to be another beautiful day (a little less sunny but still awesome...i got a tan on my face). Andrew and I entered the poker run, believing it would last all day but it lasted only a couple of hours... and we probably scored the worst hand possible... but had fun anyways...



We spent the afternoon skiing the lift and enjoying the little jumps and sneaking onto the banked slalom course. Our legs were spent in a different resort skiing kind of way.... we enjoyed a little rest some mexican and a live jazz gig in town

Monday rained... so we decided to give it a go on the nordic trails for a little exercise before hitting the road home. We had a little powder shreddin on the skinny skis from the new snow... AFter a couple of hours of skinny ski fun we headed into town to check out some of the fine stores, enjoyed the patagonia outlet and then it was time to say goodbye to Nelson.....

We got it all on our drive home from rain, snow, sleet, and sun...

We will definitely be back to the little paradise called Nelson.

live, love, laugh,...DREAM!
lina

No comments: