Dec 3, 2012

Can't drive the car, can't get the board through the door....

BUT I want to be a stand up paddler?!?

Parking the load


I did not pick the greatest sport for lack of car and small living space arrangements.... but I like the sport  and want to paddle.

Creativity, will, determination, desire, and mental prowess are all things that are helping me solve my great dilemma of getting out on the water and of course.... friends and sponsors!

It is impossible to store  a hard board in our little amazing loft condo. It can't get through the sharp corner to fit through the door and if it could I don't think I'd want to keep trying.... damage on both ends would ensue for sure.

I know I should just suck it up and learn how to drive a stick shift car but ... I really really don't like it, the stress I think would kill me.... since it is currently our only vehicle I am very often sans vehicle...

I stopped by Trident Performance Sport to see if I could demo the new 2013 Starboard Inflatable Astro Touring board (12'6" x 30"). I first tried to strap the board on my rear rack of my bike.... it was a little unstable but doable.... but a little too labour intensive and not that reliable...

Then, I decided to just put the pack on my back and cycle that way to the water. My cycle time to the closest legal paddling water is about 20 minutes (with the board on my back). It is about 30 pounds I think... I have a 3 piece Werner nitro paddle that I stick in the bag along with the pump, leash, inflatable pfd and whatever extra clothes I need. I lock up the bike with my helmet walk down to the dock and pump up the board.... I need to carry everything with me on the board which is a little inconvenient but unfortunately living in a big city I just don't trust that anything that I leave behind no matter how well stashed will still be there when I return from a paddle. So I carry the pump, bag, and whatever else extra I brought with me. Luckily the Astro Touring comes with bungee system that is simple and convenient... I then head off to paddle,... I know I should be training on my race board without stuff on the board and not with a three piece paddle but my racing Werner grand prix paddle... but sometimes you can't have it all... right? At least I get to paddle! AND for an inflatable board, the Astro touring board is pretty nice to paddle on flat water... the shape and dimensions create a more race feel than other inflatable boards. I still feel quite stable so am not worried of falling into the very cold water but also there is not so much stability that I feel like I am not moving forward at all.... I give the Starboard 12'6"x30" astro touring board thumbs up. I hope to do some actually touring on it in the near future...I know I will want more bungees in order to carry more gear for a longer day or days....

 Upon my return from my paddle, I deflate, pack everything back into the bag, put it back on my back, unlock bike and ride home. For me, I know I need to add approx one hour total to my paddle workout for traveling and pumping/organizing needs....

The 20minute bike ride is about max for me until it gets really quite uncomfortable having a huge heavy bag on my back while cycling... so Andrew, my amazing hubby found me a cheap Wike trailer. I use bungee to strap the board onto the platform. It is best used without the bag for less bulk and also it means one less thing to carry on the board with me while paddling.

It takes a little longer to set up and take down before and after my paddle BUT is way nicer to ride with... so for longer commutes to a paddling destination that is a little further away  I will definitely take the little trailer...

I am excited that I figured out a way to still paddle even without a car and a place to store a hard board. I know it is not ideal and I am working on trying to get a hard board near water so I can bike to it and paddle from there.... and here is to hoping something works out.

If I want to pursue my goals for 2013 I do need to sort out the ability to actually get on the water and paddle!

Heading back to False Creek

I am sure it will all come together.... I just need to be a little more creative, a little more determined and maybe endure a little bit more than most to get myself and a board on the water. At times it is tough, especially doing it all alone... but I guess that is that internal motivation/drive in me....

live, love, laugh,...DREAM!
lina

No comments: